One of the famous flooring and wall tiles for residential and commercial spaces worldwide are ceramic tiles. It is a great option for back splashes, shower rooms, kitchen sinks and a lot more. Ceramics are known to be environmentally friendly and minimizes the cause of household allergens, heightens the home’s worth and is one of the best choice in walls and floors. It is also practical and functional, not to mention the beautiful designs, various shapes and sizes that you get to choose from.
Every home had used ceramic tiles one way or the other. There are many benefits that you can get from using this type of tiles as follows:
- Environmentally friendly. Since these are made from clay, sand and glass, they are considered safe to use. These raw materials in combination with recycled materials create a ceramic tile. They are also known to make your homes cooler, thus there is the tendency to lower your electric consumption. During winter, there are also insulating characteristics that can be beneficial.
- Convenient to maintain. Ceramic tiles are easy to clean and maintain, and there is no need for special cleaning products to make it shine and bright.
- No complex cleaning involved. A sweep and a wash can already tidy these tiles up. In kitchen walls and sink, you use soap and water to simply wipe away stains.
- Grout in between tiles. Although Ceramic tiles are convenient to clean, the grout can get dirtier compared to the tiles. You can use grout cleaning products available in the market.
Ceramic tile is a dependable and a versatile material used for finishing. It can be installed almost anywhere and can withstand moisture and resist scrubbing than any other materials. The installation can be an easy task which can readily be done by anyone. Some tools for this procedure is needed. Here are simple tips to remember when doing the installation process:
- Check on the weak walls that need to be replaced before installing ceramic tiles.
- Press on the wall, because if it gives way or feels softer, it may need some work to do.
- Evaluating the wall’s structure before installation is a must. A weak wall may cause the tiling job to fall or break down.
- Molds can also be destructive. You will need a tiling board to work as a back up. Do not install the ceramic tiles directly to the wall because the board will work as protection from warping and cracking your tile work.
- Use a measuring tape to measure accurately your location and remember to be wary on the level. This will serve as a guide to keep tiles straight.
- You can use a chalk snap line to mark the location compared to drawing a line. It is more accurate to do so by simply placing a nail to both ends where you want your tiles installed.
- Dry fit, cut size tiles according your desired look. Measure how much space is necessary and use a diamond tipped saw when cutting the tiles.
How to Select Ceramic Tiles Properly
- Halls and Corridors. These are entrance points that experiences traffic intensity and where some forms of abrasive materials are carried on the inside of the house or buildings. Highly abrasive tiles should be used in these areas, with anti-slip and stain resistance properties.
- Living Room areas. This area needs tiles that are not really abrasive, but more on stain resistant. Soft shoes are often used in this area, and before reaching this portion of the premises, a lot of dirt materials such as sand were already left in the entrance hallways.
- Balcony, elevated areas. This portion is exposed with fluctuated temperatures, and require tiles that have low water absorption and freeze-resistance properties.
- Kitchen and Bathrooms as we already know, need more water and stain resistant properties since these areas are prone to water related activities.
Tiles are fabulous especially when used as decors. If you have the minds of an artist, you can easily design parts of your homes using ceramic wall tiles. If you are on a tight budget, there are also tips on how to use these tiles beautifully without overspending. Those who are luxurious enough to buy and choose what tiles they want can even be more creative to make their spaces really look extravagant using these materials. Even so, everything will all depend on what you want to do with your rooms and homes to make it look bright and cozy.